6 Most Dangerous Electrical Hazards Around Your Home

With our modern reliance on electricity, we all have wonderful conveniences. However, if not taken care of securely, your home’s wires, strings, and machines represent various safety hazards that can bring about deadly mishaps and property damage. Fortunately, these hazards can be avoided or reduced by staying aware and taking steps to eliminate their dangers, ideally with the help of professional electricians like Southcan Electric Ltd, Winnipeg licensed electricians.  

Keep your friends and family protected and your home intact by keeping away from these 8 common electrical hazards found in many Canadian homes.

  1. Damaged Electrical Cords and Poor Wiring

Electrical cords and wires become risky when the metal inside gets exposed. That metal conducts power, and having contact with it can bring about anything from a little stun to extreme electric shock. Uncovered wires can likewise add to electrical flames. Chords will in general shred with age or misuse, and once in a while items can penetrate through their protection, similar to the edge of a chair leg. 

Since wires will in general be far out, they’re more helpless to bug damage, especially from biting rodents and mice. Obsolete wiring can likewise overheat, dissolve, and consume.

Great quality wiring that adjusts to security principles is vital for wellbeing. Awful wiring can build the odds of flames, power surge, and other serious results. Therefore, best to avoid do-it-yourself electrical work and get professional electricians to perform Most Dangerous Home Electrical Hazard.

  1. Outlets Close to Water

Water conducts power, which is the reason why it’s unfathomably hazardous to deal with light switches and connected appliances with wet hands. Outlets in restrooms, kitchens, and different zones with water ought to be installed a protected distance away from the source of water.

Handling with machines, appliances and outlets that are near water likewise expands your danger of being electrocuted. Protect yourself and your family by introducing GFCI outlets in all areas required by the National Electrical Code. These extraordinary outlets contain sensors that distinguish when there’s a variation in the typical electrical current and shut off before you can get a stun that long enough to seriously harm or kill you. Keeping outlets away from water lessens the opportunity of an electric stun.

  1. Extension cords

For security reasons, extension cords should only be for temporary uses. Much under those conditions, an extension cord  should just be associated with a power source or HARD-WIRED plug extension in a wall. Plugging an additional cord into a norm, free plug extension (or the other way around) can cause an electrical fire. In like manner, plugging an electrical cord into another additional cord likewise makes the danger of a fire. 

Extension cords ought to be deliberately fixed set up where conceivable to reduce the chance of stumbling or accident. Utilize plastic socket closures on unused sockets. Don’t use extension cords as a lasting substitute for extra power sockets,  and try not to utilize them for an excessive number of appliances at once. Also prior to connecting anything, you should ensure that the electrical cord won’t surpass the poner needs of the equipment you need to connect with it.

  1.  Light Bulbs With the Wrong Wattage

We don’t frequently consider lights being electrical risks, yet the potential for an electrical fire emerges when lights are kept close to combustible materials. These can incorporate beds, curtains, plastics, or different things, for example, upholstery. 

Lights, all sources of electricity can likewise cause electric stun, so guarantee you generally turn the light switch off prior to replacing a light, and never replace a light or contact a light switch with wet hands. Continuously guarantee you only use a light with the right wattage to forestall overheating. 

Consistently check your light installation to perceive what bulb wattage it determines. Lights, especially incandescent bulbs, can get extremely hot. In the event that you introduce a bulb with a higher wattage than the fixture can deal with, the attachment holding the bulbs can get sufficiently hot to liquefy and light a fire.

  1. High-Powered Appliances Plugged Into Power Strips

Plug extensions and surge protectors are simply safe to use with gadgets with low-power loads. Models incorporate things like cell phones, tablets, PCs, and AV hardware. Any appliances or electrical machines beyond that can light a fire. Indeed, even machines that are more modest in size, similar to toaster ovens, espresso pots, and blenders,draw too much power  to be securely utilized with a plug extension.

  1. Overloaded Outlets

At the point when you plug such a large number of machines into a single outlet (utilizing something like a multi-outlet converter), this can attract a lot of capacity to that one outlet at the end of the day, over-burden the power source. At the point when that occurs, it drastically expands the danger of an electrical fire. 

The most awful part is that if a fire happens, it will probably begin behind your walls where you can’t get to it to take care of it right away with an extinguisher. In the event that you find that you reliably need to plug numerous things into one power source, it’s a lot more safer to simply hire a professional electrician to install additional outlets for you in more convenient areas.

Electrical hazards are real, common, and ought not be disregarded. Perhaps the most ideal approaches to diminish danger of death from electric stun in your house is to introduce a safety switch, also called a residual current device (RCD).  In any case, never attempt to accomplish any electrical work all alone. On the off chance that you think there are hazards present in your home, contact an authorized Winnipeg local electrician to help you settle them. 

In the event that you presume that your home contains an electrical risk for which you need proficient help, don’t stand by to contact a certified electrician in Winnipeg to help you make your home more secure. 

At Southcan Electric Ltd, your safety is our top priority,  which is the reason every one of our services incorporate a free safety inspection. With our electrical services we guarantee that you’re safe day and night. 

You can read our electrical blogs here where you can discover guidance and advice for keeping safe in the home and office, keeping children safe, and keeping safe during a storm.  On the off chance that you need an electrician in Winnipeg to go to for your home or work, you can call 204.230.3217 to book one of our certified Winnipeg electricians or you can use our online form! –and remember, all of our workmanship comes with a lifetime warranty* for that added peace of mind!

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest